The house shortly after it was
built around 1908.
1910, J. S. Hall, founder of Hall-Wynne Funeral Home in Durham, built a
farmhouse at 2412 South Alston Avenue. This large 2 story farmhouse is rather
unusual in form and does not fit neatly in the dominant house types in Durham
County. It is an I-House, but instead of having a gable and chimney, it has a
hipped roof and one large central corbelled brick chimney. The entrance is set
off-center, but there is a gabble dormer window set in the center that
emphasizes the asymmetry of the entrance. The dormer has very ornate sawn work
bargeboard. There is a full width, 2nd story front porch with craftsman style
porch supports. The house has an original 1 story rear ell.
house is significant as one of the few surviving examples of middle class farm
houses is this section of the county. It is a designated historic landmark
listed in the Durham County Historic Inventory, known as the Hall-Mann house.
of the original features that are still in the house are corner fireplaces, a
wide open stair case, beveled mirrors and glass.
1910, South Alston Avenue was in the county and there were no other houses
around it. After the house was finished, Mrs. Hall refused to move from the
city of Durham to the county. Mr. Hall rented the house for awhile, then sold
it to Mr. G. V. Mann and his wife Minnie. They moved in with their four
children and a 5th child was born later. Mr. Mann started Pine Grove Farm and
lived in the house with his wife and five children. As the children moved out
on their own, Mr. Mann gave each some land to build their own homes on. Today,
there are five small houses and the original Mann house around the property
that was the Pine Grove Farm. The area is also known as Mann Hill because the
house sits up on a little hill and all the other houses around it are owned by
members of the Mann family.
of the original outbuildings are still standing, including a tiny hipped roof
carbide power house, several farm barns and sheds.
1988, a tornado went through the area and knocked down most of the "Pine
Grove". The pecan trees and most of the other trees survived. The roof on
the house lost most of its shingles. The house was repaired, but the house
remained empty until 1998 when it was bought by Carol and Steve Barden.
and Steve spent most of the next three years restoring the house and making it
livable and another year to open as a Bed and Breakfast.